PDA

View Full Version : opportunity always knocks at an inopportune time

ChemicallyEngineered
05-16-2012, 05:46 AM
As many of you know i am a certified life fitness and cybex repair tech employeed by planet fitness. I have been with my company for 5 1/2yrs and i know they love me and take great care of me as an employee. I have a decent salary, full paid medical for my family, 401k, profit sharing and a company vehicle to travel between the gyms. About 3yrs ago when i was still a trainer at PF i took the NYS department of corrections test. After not making it into the last class a while back i assumed this was no longer an option. Well last week i got my letter asking if i was still interested and wanted to start the interview process. While the starting salary is about $8k less than i make now, i know in the long run it's better. Right now i am salaried so the 60hrs i put in last week because of the renovations we were doing at 2 of our gyms ran behind still equate to just my regular salary. If i worked 60hrs in the prison that would be time and a half. I like the job i do now and don't know if i would like dealing with criminals everyday. I am also intimidating by the background check and interview process. I've been told millions of times that they aren't looking for angels and that what they are looking for is honesty about your past and evidence that you have moved on. I dont want to completely lie about having used gear but i know i would have to lie about the time frame of use. I also have 2 arrests which were ACD'd. Since it was over a decade ago I'd like to believe it wouldn't affect me but who knows. I was also fired from 2 jobs which i usually don't admit to but i would have to for this. At GNC if something was returned to the store opened it was obviously unsaleable and was to be thrown out. I felt that was a waste and if i or my employees wanted to take home something we were supposed to throw out then why not? Of course i knew it was against company policy and it lead to my termination there. At home depot i was fired for making a sexual comment about another memeber of management. Both of these issues were almost a decade ago as well but would they return to haunt me here? I also fear that if i start the process that i will have to lie about taking some time off and i would somehow get caught and jepardize my current job. I'm not one to take time off or use sick time unless i'm dead. Of course it is also a no brainer that with corrections comes a pension and not just a 401k. What if i don't get the job and i have to deal with the rejection and embarassment of that rejection?

baby1
05-16-2012, 06:06 AM
That is a tough call! I would go with your gut on this. As far as your past, they can bring up things from many years ago, if they want. If things are in question, I would answer them truthfully to some degree, and of course wouldn't bring up gear use. Unfortuantely, they will probably look at you and somewhat judge based on your physique. That sucks, but I have seen this happen many times to Fuzo.

I would sit down and think about the pros and cons of your decision. Yes this could be a new opportunity, but it is not easy wotking day in and day out with criminals. I have seen people who have done this for years become so cynical, defensive, and unhappy.

Whatever decision you make, don't look back or have regrets!!! If you decide to go through with the interview process and you don't get the job, forget about embarrassment and rejection!!! You are already a success so if you don't get it, just chuck it off as a life lesson and a time of growth!!!

Good luck to you!

baby1
05-16-2012, 09:16 PM
:)

apbt549
05-17-2012, 05:50 PM
bro thats a tough one.. the down the road would be much better and the benfits would also be good..

like baby said working with those people locked up would be very tough.. i know i dont think i could do it bc there are some nasty ass people locked up..

the hours would allow you to spend more time with your family then you do now i am sure..

like baby said sit down and weigh out the pro's and con's

good luck...

jerrystanton
05-18-2012, 12:20 AM
I'm no expert ... but if you feel things in your past were too long ago enough to mention then DON'T ... and this is exactly how I would explain it ONLY if asked about it. You pretty much answered your own question with this... These were events that took place several years ago, and do not reflect on your current lifestyle - this in itself is not a lie or stretching the truth and can save your interview if challenged for an explanation.

As for gear usage, Hell to the NO ... they don't "need" to know nor would they understand - mentioning this would likely prevent you from getting the job for several reasons ... liability, legal, etc.

Baby1 also brought up another good and all to real scenario ... your physical size can be very intimidating to others during the interview process - probably not so much in this case - but I have had it happen a few times in the past with the typical 'god your huge' remarks, or 'do you bench press buses?' - during the interviews! . Best to always try to conceal your size to avoid any extra attention in that area.

Keep us posted, I really would like to know how it turns out for you and hope our posts help... Thanks for sharing with everyone and Good luck!

ChemicallyEngineered
05-18-2012, 04:43 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for the advice. I think I'll be ok with regards to the gear. A friend Of mine said they only do lie detector tests for state police which was why I didn't want to outright lie about ever having used. The two charges were from before I started dating my wife which was a big change in my life and I believe they will see that. The downside is my current job would be my greatest reference but I can't have them calling my current bosses or I would fear some repercussions. Two of the managers at pf are retired COs but I can't risk putting them down. MY brother in law is a port authority cop so I'm hoping his reference will help out.
My brothers best friend is a CO and he worked 10 16 hour shifts last month and was home with his kidsK the rest of the time. That's invaluable.

baby1
05-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Let us know how this all turns out for you.

apbt549
05-19-2012, 11:46 AM
i think that would be the biggest pro is being home with your family and kids..

yea its nice to have money but if you have no time to enjoy it or spend it with your wife and kids what good is it???

baby1
06-13-2012, 09:02 AM
So what did you decide about this?

ChemicallyEngineered
06-14-2012, 06:31 AM
i sent my letter back in saying i am still interested so now i am waiting for a letter back with an interview date.

baby1
06-14-2012, 08:11 AM
Cool!!!