PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound dog--any owners on here??

Born2Juice4Ever
12-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I have a German Shepperd mix--he is a cattle dog. Not full size German Shepperd, but very similar in looks.

I personally owned a German Shepperd in the past and loved having a puppy---they make best of best of friends.

Lately I have been really contemplating and doing lots of research on how Greyhound dogs work.-_In Canada we are not allowed to breed them, we can only adopt them from the U.S.A.

So HE will def be adopted.

Are there any first time owners or former Greyhound dog owners on here? What is your experience with them?
I understand that they are the most passive layed back dogs one could ever have.
They simply love to just sit back and relax.

Comments?

B2J

Bolan
12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I just adopted a former race dog, which im sure you'll be getting if your adopting one.
They are very skittish because all they know is a kennel/crate...and training.
The trainers also fed them raw red meat. The adoption centers will have them changed over to regular dog food before you get them.

They are VERY nice dogs!!! They are gentle and docile unless they get spooked.
The LOVE to chase things.....so be careful if you have cats, because the dog WILL chase and possibly nip at them.

When outside, I would recommend some sort of electric fence or "shock collar" cause if they see anything running, they are GONE!!!!!!!! And they are hella fast..LOL

Its a big learning curve for the dogs because they have never seen inside a home or any compassion, with some work and being stern with the animal, they will learn....

But you'll never get them to stop chasing!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome specimine of a dog..... Muscles, sleek...just a great dog... Much recommended!

Born2Juice4Ever
12-15-2010, 11:29 AM
LMFAO you are so correct.
These kind of dogs do not even know how to go up a flight of stairs...or know what a chair is.
Your post is right on with info that I have read over the last couple of months.

I am just aching to get one. I saw one and handled her for a few minutes...I fell in love with the dog.
My girl and I have a 5 year old German mix, and no cats --no thanks.

Our home has a fenced backyard, it is probably 9" high, so jumping would not be a possibility.
There are LOTS of squierrals hahahha our puppy is a hunter too, she gets freaking exited every time...back hair up, and in chase mode.

I read that Greyhounds can run in high miles per hour, and yes unstoppable from a humans physical ability.

thank you Bolan
B2J

Drew83
12-15-2010, 06:27 PM
great dogs on the shy/timid side. My only thing is, well at least what i've seen working at an animal hospital is they seem to be prone to bone CA. Or i should say that it is common. Most of the amputations we have done due to bone CA have been done on grey hounds. But that could happen with any dog.

rocco-x
12-17-2010, 06:02 PM
one newlywed couple on my landscaping route has 2 that they rescued in florida where it's still legal to race and bet on them.i can get some info if you'd like B2J and hit you back...?

guns01
12-17-2010, 07:52 PM
i hope you are ready to do some major cardio b2j cause from what i have heard and read you have to exercise the shit out of them bad boys. a good friend of mine had a whipet and he had to walk him all the freakin time.