PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Chris Benoit and family

miss diesel
06-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Wrestler, family dead
Bodies of Benoit, wife and son discovered in Ga. home

Chris Benoit was scheduled to perform at a pay-per-view event Sunday but backed out because of reported "personal reasons."

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife, and son were found dead Monday and police said they were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide.

Detective Bo Turner told television station WAGA that the case was being treated as a murder-suicide, but said that couldn't be confirmed until evidence was examined by a crime lab.

The station said that investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and 7-year-old son, Daniel, over the weekend, then himself on Monday. A neighbor called police, and the bodies were found in three rooms.

Lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope, of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department, told The Associated Press the deaths were being investigated as homicide, and that the causes of death awaited autopsy results on Tuesday. Pope said the bodies were discovered about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.

The house is in a secluded neighborhood set back about 60 yards off a gravel road, surrounded by stacked stone wall and a double-iron gate. On Monday night, the house was dark except for a few outside lights. There was a police car in front, along with two uniformed officers.

Benoit was a former world heavyweight and Intercontinental champion. He also held several tag-team titles during his career.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the federation said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the "Vengeance" pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."

The native of Canada maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The WWE canceled its live Monday Night RAW card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

"My relationship with Chris has extended many years and I consider him a great friend," Carl DeMarco, the president of WWE Canada, said in a statement. "Chris was always first-class -- warm, friendly, caring and professional one of the best in our business."

Kruzzer
06-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I won't jump to confirm this next comment until they know what happend, BUT....IF THIS FUCKEN PRICK DID DO THIS TO HIS FAMILY, IT'S JUST ANOTHER ASSHOLE OUT THERE GIVING US A BAD RAP!!!!! YOU KNOW THAT THE MEDIA IS GOING TO BLAIM (STEROID USE AND ABUSE) WHEN THE ONLY ANSWER IS THAT HE WAS A WEAK FUCKEN A S S H O L E THAT HAD TO KILL OTHERS AND THEN HIMSELF. I WISH THE FUCKER WAS STILL ALIVE SO I, YES I, COULD TOURCHER THE FUCKER FOR A YEAR!!! ANYONE THAT HAS KIDS THAT COULD HURT THEM SHOULD BE DISMEMBERED ALIVE RIGHT ON THE SPOT!!!!

Sorry you caught me on a bad day.
KZ

PECS
06-25-2007, 10:59 PM
I've met Benoit a year or so ago at one of the gyms here while they were in town. Very personable and friendly. Strong as an ox. If this was how it went down, something very bad must've happened, because this isn't like him imo.
On a side note what I fond funny, was they were supposed to eulogise Mr. McMahon for his so called murder a few weeks ago. LMMFAO... then appears tonight talking about this. Guess they blew that story. HA HA... only in TV land can a dead guy come back to life to hold a Memorial for a real dead guy.

airagee23
06-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Unbelievable. He had everything and did this. I cant wait to find out the whole story.

ironmaiden
06-26-2007, 06:46 AM
:( You never know what goes on inside a persons mind and what they are capable of doing.

S.A Labs
06-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Yep........ http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19424899/?GT1=10056

I won't jump to confirm this next comment until they know what happend, BUT....IF THIS FUCKEN PRICK DID DO THIS TO HIS FAMILY, IT'S JUST ANOTHER ASSHOLE OUT THERE GIVING US A BAD RAP!!!!! YOU KNOW THAT THE MEDIA IS GOING TO BLAIM (STEROID USE AND ABUSE) WHEN THE ONLY ANSWER IS THAT HE WAS A WEAK FUCKEN A S S H O L E THAT HAD TO KILL OTHERS AND THEN HIMSELF. I WISH THE FUCKER WAS STILL ALIVE SO I, YES I, COULD TOURCHER THE FUCKER FOR A YEAR!!! ANYONE THAT HAS KIDS THAT COULD HURT THEM SHOULD BE DISMEMBERED ALIVE RIGHT ON THE SPOT!!!!

Sorry you caught me on a bad day.
KZ

Kruzzer
06-26-2007, 04:49 PM
What did I say last night...I just watched the news and what's to blame?

STEROIDS!!!!!!!
Fucken loosers need to get their heads out of their asses and just realize he was a murdering asshole that steroids had NOTHING to do with!!
KZ

AVEC
06-26-2007, 07:50 PM
sensationalistic reporting and speculation being undertaken by some members of the media following the press conference held by the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department and the District Attorney. During the press conference, the investigating authorities made the following points, all of which run contrary to the media speculation that "roid rage" was a factor in the senseless murders and suicide:

1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage

Kruzzer
06-26-2007, 09:06 PM
JUST FUCKED UP! Isn't it?
KZ

FireFreak956
06-27-2007, 09:34 AM
Sucks what happened....and Sucks that they speculate why he did it...only he knows and he took it to his grave...and everything points to pre-meditated and diliberate not a fit of rage as they are putting it.

SuperCow
06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
How do they know for sure that He killed them and himself? maybe someone Murdered them all? who knows. :(

Perrogrande
06-28-2007, 07:11 AM
How do they know for sure that He killed them and himself? maybe someone Murdered them all? who knows. :(

Sorry SC, but you have got to be kidding right? Benoit was a trained fighter, eventhough what he did in the ring was fake, I think he could take care of himself. Also there are no reports of any struggles happening. I know, as a father and husband, that if someone murdered my wife and child over the period of time that this supposedly took place, I would not go peacefully to the noose and allow someone to hang me, there would be some major disruption in the house and the authorities would be able to tell that a huge struggle took place.

BTW I live in Georgia and on GNN news lastnight they were saying the 7 year old son had the perscription for the steroids. Has anyone else heard this? I just want to make sure I heard this correctly.

-MU-
06-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Fuck him I hope Satan fucks him in the ass when he gets down there.

Skeletor
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm just curious as to what would go through a guys head to do something like this. I knew when I first heard of this that they would blame steroids on this

suk35
06-28-2007, 07:46 PM
If his life was so bad, why not just take his own?
What did he help be killing his familey. Very sad.

die2live
06-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Sounds like there were a lot of potential problems with the man. Wrestlers often suffer from lot's of injuries and often repeated concussions that can go undiagnosed. All too often the push to get back in the ring and the lure of reliance on pain killers can create a bad situation when someone is also on AAS. I don't mean to single out AAS usage as a root cause of this but injury, depression and the combination of AAS and pain killers can be a very slippery slope.

Kruzzer
06-29-2007, 04:07 PM
There's that evel nubaine again.....
-MU- right on Bro....With a Huge fucken herpied up DICK TOOO!!!
KZ

IRONBULL05
06-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Like I said on another board about this...
FUCK HIM!!!!!!!!!He slaughtered his family and may have been injecting his son with growth hormones!

Pecs,you may have met him before and thought he was a nice and personable guy,but that doesn't change the facts of what he did!!!

RIP???NO!!!!!!!

BURN IN HELL????HELLYEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lawrence
06-30-2007, 06:23 PM
feel for his son:(

Kruzzer
06-30-2007, 07:26 PM
IronBulll....You the Man... BIH not RIP
KZ

Dr.Max
06-30-2007, 11:36 PM
I don’t want to point the blame at Chris just yet.
Giving reasonable doubt I believe is the best thing to do.
We should all just wait for all the true facts to roll in.
I am hoping that he did not kill his family.

The worst part for the AAS community is that Steroids seem to be the scapegoat. His doctor's office has been raided twice since they have found the bodies. Just watching the new we can see that we have dark roads ahead of all of us.

It is sad that propaganda can control the media. Steroids are getting the blame and we will all pay for this.

One Strange Thing To Point Out.

The death of Chris and the murder of his family were posted on Wikipedia 14hrs before the bodies were found. How do you explain that?

Skeletor
07-01-2007, 11:54 AM
I heard about the wikepedia thing on the news...very wierd it was on there BEFORE the bodies were found

tenman
07-02-2007, 03:42 PM
There's that evel nubaine again.....
-MU- right on Bro....With a Huge fucken herpied up DICK TOOO!!!
KZ

Listen bro, if you never had a reation or toxic build up to a pharamaceutical drug, prescribed or otherwiese, you need to STFU.

I was just relased (Today)the THIRD time from the hospital due to Norcos (highest strength Vicodin available) + Valium OD/build-up in my systen due to a broken back. Let me tell you bud, the second time, if my cop brotherin law, who is a Police negotiater would not have been there, mother, wife, and 2 sons...including myself would have all been murdered. AND, I DON'T REMEMBER A GD THING ABOUT IT!!!

Kindly know WTF you are talking about before posting SHIT.

TenMan

PECS
07-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Tenman what the hell is up my friend. Good to see you coming by. Hopefully you'll stop in more.

Back to this topic, any "normal" person can ask what would drive a guy to kill his family then himself, but since we're not doctors we don't know what problems, or issues the guy had and what underlying problem caused this to happen.
I know the news is eating up the steroid issue right now because they found scripted test in the house due to his low test levels... all I can say is I hope their in peace.

tenman
07-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Tenman what the hell is up my friend. Good to see you coming by. Hopefully you'll stop in more.

Back to this topic, any "normal" person can ask what would drive a guy to kill his family then himself, but since we're not doctors we don't know what problems, or issues the guy had and what underlying problem caused this to happen.
I know the news is eating up the steroid issue right now because they found scripted test in the house due to his low test levels... all I can say is I hope their in peace.

Yeah, same here! I'm glad you sent that note out. I usually got so much on my mind I usually check in at 1 or 2 boards and log off...I forgot about one of the best boards out there,,,E-STEROIDS!!!

Tomorrow, I'm gonna put together an essay about what happened to me!!! (excuse some of the spelling mistaakes. My hands ars too shaky to go bac and fix them). The other side of my spine broke and they had to do a fusion, but the best (I mean "worst" part) is what happened after that!

OK, Sorry for the hijack...tune in tomorrow!

TenMan

PECS
07-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Take your time bro, in all honesty no explanation is needed. We know each other well from a few other boards. I'm just glad to see ya comin over. Hope the family is doing well.

Kruzzer
07-02-2007, 07:19 PM
OK Tman....I can't voice my opinion....I'll tell you to STFU!!!!
I HAVE HAD MY SHARE ADDICTED TO DRUGS!
Don't fucken tell me that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about! I've been in this Biz for over 15yrs and had my problems with K, Baine, and Cocaine! I fucken made it through it. But DONT tell me that it would be an excuse to kill my Fucken Kids!!!!!! What the fuck is your problem!!!! If you are too weak or just too selfish that you want to kill you family You got the problem....Why do you even have kids if this is how you could feel about them. WHAT did they do to you? Put the drugs into you mouth for you!
This is a board to post your opinion and I don't agree with yours!
KZ

PA-Muscle
07-02-2007, 11:26 PM
all I can say is.... What a Pity .....he was a great pro wrestler and entertainer.....He will be missed.....Not to mention my heart goes out to the serving family members (his parents, wife's parents, sisters brothers etc..)

What a tragedy.....:-(

Peace Out!

tenman
07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
OK Tman....I can't voice my opinion....I'll tell you to STFU!!!!
I HAVE HAD MY SHARE ADDICTED TO DRUGS!
Don't fucken tell me that I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about! I've been in this Biz for over 15yrs and had my problems with K, Baine, and Cocaine! I fucken made it through it. But DONT tell me that it would be an excuse to kill my Fucken Kids!!!!!! What the fuck is your problem!!!! If you are too weak or just too selfish that you want to kill you family You got the problem....Why do you even have kids if this is how you could feel about them. WHAT did they do to you? Put the drugs into you mouth for you!
This is a board to post your opinion and I don't agree with yours!
KZ

Sure, it could be an excuse to kill your kids....why wouldn't it? Jacked up, and way overdosed with nubain or hydrocodone surely would be an excuse.

The word excuse also means "reason" (true or false) sherlock.

Sounds like you need to get back on some benzo's Mr. 15 Years. You're too angry.

TenMan

TURTLE
07-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Steroids dont change a man imho, each of us struggles with our personal demons

looks to me as if benoit lost the fight with his demons

not throwing stones just saying the whole family needs our prayers at this time especially Benoit

USABULK
07-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Steroids dont change a man imho, each of us struggles with our personal demons

looks to me as if benoit lost the fight with his demons

not throwing stones just saying the whole family needs our prayers at this time especially Benoit

I couldn't agree with you more. Well said.

-MU-
07-10-2007, 07:14 AM
fuck benoit........He can rot in hell that sorry unstable Piece of shit.

SuperCow
07-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Yea, like everyone said..fuck him, but he was good wrestler and I always liked to watch him.
He was taking heavy cycle for a long time and never give a break for his body, then he was taking all the antidepressed, ambien, etc..drugs and its totally messed up his brain to turn into Evil to kill his Family. Taking too much Steroids in a long term is not good idea. Ive heard he was taking all the stuff, Insulin, IGF1, Anadrol, Testosterones, Trenbolone..and who knows what else.
What they going to prove it? A man who fucking did stupid shit will never change.
He probably passed his steroids test ( drugs test) using else someone urine, or something.

Oh well, whatever.
I cant wait to watch John Cena and Lashley!! Batista and Ummm that wierd big Monster? what his name? anyone know who i am talking about? hehe

Big Dan
07-11-2007, 07:55 PM
My question is where did steroids come into play with these other sick assholes that have killed there wives and kids and unborn child. Like the idiot in Ohio that killed his girlfriend and unborn child, was he juicing? The guy that killed his wife and kids in a suv then shot his on dumbass trying to make it seem that he was a survivor. And then there's Scott Peterson. They all where fucked in the head. Thats the problem not some kind of drug. I have jucied for many years and have a wife and two great kids. They have got on my nerves and pissed me off to no end, not once have I thought to bring harm to them. Maybe to myself years ago but not my family. And belive me I have used it all hgh, insulin and enough juice to fill a swimming pool. The things they done come from there fucked minds. It pisses me off when I see the news and they say steroids ( roid rage ) fuck the media. Oh yea Barry Bonds hit all those home runs due to steroids it did not have nothing to do with hand and eye cordination or the he has a god giving talent.:mad:

Dr.Max
07-12-2007, 10:35 PM
For everyone saying "Fuck Benoit"

STOP CONDEMING THE MAN UNTIL THE FACTS ARE IN

They have not proven that he killed anyone.
All of this is based on Media HYPE. The facts are not in.

No one as of yet knows what happened.
All they have are 3 dead people.
They have not proven that he killed his family or even himself.

It pisses me off that the Media is blaming steroids for these deaths.
"ROID RAGE" is being thrown around like crazy.
There are no studies that prove that "Roid Rage" even exists.
The last study that I have read up on actually stats that the subjects that took high levels of testosterone were calmer and laid back then the control group and placebo group.

I also hate when the media blames steroids
There are ZERO deaths proven to be the direct result of steroids. ZERO
This entire media against steroids is making me sick.

Yes it is true 104 wrestlers have did premature deaths.
Most of which were the result of alcohol abuse.
ZERO deaths were the direct result of steroids.

Stacker69
07-13-2007, 01:22 PM
We all know that the media (especially in this age of short sound bytes and clips, and short attention spans) loves to keep the causes of problems as simple as possible, even if it results in inaccurate reporting. It's easy for them to say that he went into a so-called 'roid rage because that's the easiest path to an explanation. But the real reasons behind this tragedy seem to be very complicated and it's possible that no one will ever completely know the cause. Certainly it won't be learned from the media.

JerkKILLER
07-17-2007, 02:30 AM
~~ relevant stuff is in orange - the letter by a young fan at the end almost brought a tear to my eye (in light purple)

THE BENOIT FAMILY TRAGEDY:

By Kevin Duffy, Saeed Ahmed
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 06/28/07

Just days before professional wrestling star Chris Benoit killed his wife, his son and himself, the couple argued over caring for their mentally disabled child, who suffered from a rare medical condition, a lawyer with World Wrestling Entertainment said Wednesday.

"As we went back to the time line of events, it became pretty obvious from several different sources that Nancy and Chris had tension in their relationship," said the lawyer, Jerry McDevitt. "I don't know what they said to each other, but they were constantly struggling with the difficulties of raising a child who, from all indications, may well have had Fragile X Syndrome."

Fragile X Syndrome is the most common inherited form of mental impairment, affecting boys twice as often as girls, according to the Emory University School of Medicine's Department of Human Genetics. It can lead to autistic-like behavior, and there is no known cure.

Investigators think Benoit, 40, killed his wife Friday and his 7-year-old son Daniel Saturday. He placed Bibles next to their bodies, authorities say. Sometime Sunday he hanged himself using a weight-machine pulley. The bodies were found Monday at the Benoits' exclusive Fayette County home near Peachtree City.

McDevitt said Benoit's wife didn't want him to quit wrestling but wanted him to stay home more often. She had recently undergone surgery on her neck and was in pain, he said.

"It's very difficult to raise a child this way. There's a lot of guilt," McDevitt said. "Chris was traveling on the road; she was trying to deal with the problems on her own."

Gail Heyman, who co-founded the Fragile X Association of Georgia, acknowledged that having a child diagnosed with the syndrome can put a strain on the family. But, she said, it's a matter of choice how a couple handles the challenge.

"You can either accept the differences and to be more tolerant of each other, or have it work against you," said Heyman, 50, of Marietta. Benoit and his wife had told friends and their physician that they were worried about where to send Daniel to school. The boy had just finished kindergarten at First Baptist Church School in Peachtree City.

"When they moved into this new area [last summer] and the child has to be placed in a new district, I gathered the tension somewhat exacerbated," McDevitt said.

The pastor of First Baptist, the Rev. Kenneth Brown, said Daniel was a well-liked student. "Our observations were of a caring, loving family," he said.

Pam Winthrope, whose 12-year-old son has been diagnosed with the syndrome, said her late husband reached out to Benoit about five years ago to see whether he would help them start a support group in greater Vancouver, where she lives.

"My husband asked him whether he wanted to be a public face for Fragile X," Winthrope said Wednesday night. "But he wanted to remain very, very private about it."

The two men then talked briefly about what it meant to be dads to a child with the syndrome, she said.

"It's easier for mothers to accept it because we carry the child for nine months and learn to love them," she said. "Fathers have a problem with assumptions of what they can and cannot do. 'Can they play football with me?' "

Last messages

New details about the killings emerged Wednesday.

Daniel appeared to have been killed in a chokehold because he had internal neck injuries but no visible bruises, according to Scott Ballard, district attorney for Fayette County.

Nancy Benoit, 43, had bruises on her back and stomach, indicating her husband had his knee in her back as he pulled on a cord that was around her neck.

Benoit killed himself by wrapping a cord around his neck that was attached to a weight machine. He released the weights —- about 240 pounds —- to cause strangulation, Ballard said.

During the weekend, Benoit made groggy calls to co-workers and left text messages, according to the WWE.

On Saturday, he said he was delayed in catching his flight to an event in Beaumont, Texas, because of family health issues, the WWE said. In one call he said "I love you" to a co-worker, who called it "out of context," the organization said.

In other calls, Benoit said his wife and son were sick with food poisoning and that they had gone to the hospital, WWE said.

On Sunday, Benoit sent text messages to friends from his cellphone and his wife's cellphone. The last text message was sent at 3:58 a.m. Sunday, according to WWE.

The WWE lawyer tried to get inside the mind of the wrestling star to explain why he would kill his child.

"The time gap between the death of Nancy and the time he was with this child, it doesn't take much to figure out what was going on in his mind," McDevitt said. "The mother can't take care of [Daniel], he'd killed her. He was going to jail. There was nobody left to take care of this little boy."

McDevitt could not find any other explanation why Benoit would take Daniel's life. The boy adored his father and had his pictures in his room, McDevitt said.

Also Wednesday, Benoit's longtime physician, Dr. Phil Astin, said he had prescribed testosterone for the wrestler in the past but would not say what, if any, medications he prescribed the day of their meeting.

"He was in my office on Friday to stop by just to see my staff," Astin, of Carrollton, said. "He certainly didn't show any signs of any distress or rage or anything."

Not a 'roid rage'

That the violence went on for an extended period indicates it was not a "roid rage" sparked by steroid use, according to WWE and others.

Toxicology results from Benoit's autopsy won't be available for weeks.

Benoit received drug deliveries from a Florida business that sold steroids, human growth hormone and testosterone, according to the Albany County, N.Y., district attorney's office, which is investigating the business, MedXLife.com.

"This gentleman may have had other significant mental health problems," said Gary Yesalis, an epidemiologist at Penn State University. "The death of Benoit and his family wasn't spontaneous. I don't see steroids had much if anything to do with this."

At the gate and stacked stone wall at the family's 8-acre home, flowers, stuffed animals and wrestling figurines were left by fans.

And so were notes.

One was written by a child in pencil on lined notebook paper. "I will miss you, we will always love you," it says. "I left you my [toy] wrestler. See you in heaven."

Staff writers Mike Morris, Kathy Jefcoats and Bill Hendricks, researchers Sharon Gaus and Nisa Asokan and The Associated Press contributed to this article.

WHAT IS FRAGILE X SYNDROME?

> Fragile X is a common inherited cause of mental disability.

> It is caused by a mutation of a gene on the X chromosome. DNA tests identify people with the disorder.

> Approximately 1 in 260 women is a carrier of the gene.

> An estimated 1 in 2,000 boys is impaired by Fragile X. Girls are affected at a much lower rate, and the effects are usually milder.

> Effects range from mild learning disabilities to severe mental impairment. Those affected may be hyperactive, hypersensitive to external stimuli and have short attention spans.

> There is no known cure, but drug therapies are available to increase attention span and decrease hyperactivity.

Source: Dolan DNA Learning Center

AVEC
07-17-2007, 12:42 PM
this just in...from the Ga. medical examiners office...the ONLY type of steroid to be found in Benoits URINE was testosterone!!! also theraputic levels of xanax,hydrocodone which were also found in his wifes along with alcohol..son was said to have xanax also maybe used to sedate the child....

miss diesel
07-17-2007, 02:05 PM
fuck benoit........He can rot in hell that sorry unstable Piece of shit.

MU will always be MU, that's what I like about you :p

miss diesel
07-17-2007, 02:08 PM
There they go again about steroid rage :rolleyes:

Steroids Found In Dead Wrestler's Home
Did "Roid Rage" Cause Apparent Murder-Suicide Of Chris Benoit And Family?

(CBS/AP) Officials investigating the apparent murder-suicide of pro wrestler Chris Benoit and his wife and son found anabolic steroids in the house and want to know whether the muscle man nicknamed "The Canadian Crippler" was unhinged by the bodybuilding drugs, which can cause paranoia, depression and explosive outbursts known as "roid rage."

"In a community like this it's bizarre to have a murder-suicide, especially involving the death of a 7-year-old," Ballard said. "I don't think we'll ever be able to wrap our minds around this," Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said.

He said Benoit's 43-year-old wife, Nancy, was killed Friday in an upstairs family room, and her feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head, indicating a possible struggle. Daniel, age 7, was probably killed late Saturday or early Sunday, and his body was found in his bed, the district attorney said.

Benoit, 40, apparently hanged himself hours later, Ballard said. His body was found in a downstairs weight room hanging from the pulley of a piece of exercise equipment. Authorities said Benoit placed a Bible next to each of their bodies before killing himself.

World Wrestling Entertainment, based in Stamford, Conn., issued a statement Tuesday saying steroids "were not and could not be related to the cause of death."

"The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage," the company said, adding that Benoit tested negative April 10, the last time he was tested for drugs.

The WWE instituted a new and supposedly tougher drug policy just last year after the death of another wrestler was linked to steroid use, reported CBS News national correspondent Byron Pitts.

Instead, the WWE said Benoit told co-workers his wife and son had food poisoning and were throwing up.

Authorities offered no motive for the killings, which were spread out over the weekend and discovered Monday. No suicide note was found.

On Saturday, Benoit called a co-worker to say he had missed a flight and would be late for a wrestling event in Texas, WWE said in a timeline posted Tuesday on its Web site. The co-worker said Benoit sounded tired and groggy and said "I love you," which the co-worker found "out of context," WWE said.

When a co-worker who usually travels with Benoit called him later from the Houston airport, Benoit told the co-worker his wife, Nancy, was throwing up blood and that his son, Daniel, also was throwing up. Benoit said he thought it was food poisoning, according to WWE.

After Benoit talked to a WWE Talent Relations representative, the representative suggested Benoit try to make it to a pay-per-view event in Houston since he would not be able to make it to the live event in Beaumont, Texas.

But early Sunday, two co-workers received a series of text messages from the cell phones of Benoit and his wife. Most stated his home address in Fayetteville, about 20 miles south of Atlanta. One message from Benoit's phone said: "The dogs are in the enclosed pool area. Garage side door is open," according to WWE.

The text messages led WWE to ask authorities to check on Benoit and his family.

Ballard said the messages appeared to be an attempt by Benoit to get someone to the home to find the bodies after his suicide.

The prosecutor said it appeared the wrestler remained in the house for up to a day with the bodies.

The boy had old needle marks in his arms, Ballard said. He said he had been told the parents considered him undersized and had given him growth hormones.

"The boy was very small, even dwarfed," Ballard said.

Toxicology test results may not be available for weeks or even months, Ballard said. As for whether steroids played a role in the crime, he said: "We don't know yet. That's one of the things we'll be looking at."

Benoit received drug deliveries from a Florida business that sold steroids, human growth hormone and testosterone on the Internet, according to the Albany County, N.Y., District Attorney's Office, which is investigating the business, MedXLife.com.

Six people, including two of the pharmacy's owners, have pleaded guilty in the investigation, and 20 more have been arrested, including doctors and pharmacists.

Steroids have been linked to the deaths of several professional wrestlers in recent years. Eddie Guerrero, one of Benoit's best friends, died in 2005 from heart failure linked to long-term steroid use.

The father of Curt "Mr. Perfect" Hennig blamed steroids and painkillers for Hennig's drug overdose death in 2003. Davey Boy Smith, the "British Bulldog," died in 2002 from heart failure that a coroner said was probably caused by steroids.
[CBS News]