I am:
      Amused

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Default Guns & Cowards

COPIED AND PASTED.
      Friday, April 18, 2008
      Guns and cowards.

I have never held a real handgun in my life. It's never occurred to me that having one might make me safer. i can't imagine how that math works. i have always had the opinion that the very existence of guns in the city is what kills people. from stray bullets, to kids finding loaded guns, to people losing it and blasting other people for no good reason. it has always seemed so cowardly to me and the only people that really need guns, are soldiers and drug dealers. drug dealers need them because they have to kill their competition, which doesn't actually seem all that bad in the bigger picture.

but when i think about how i have operated as a young adult, the amount of times when i could have been shot, it's amazing that i maintained the higher road coming up in the 80's. i was always in some kind of altercation of one kind or the other and the thought never crossed my head how often i was within feet of a loaded weapon during a conflict. i always assumed that the more bad ass a person was the less likely they would resort to the easy way out. i don't know, i think i am a bit Spartan when it comes to conflict. i would fight in the shade if i had to.

let me quickly go through a brief history of my experiences with Guns and the cowards behind them. first off, i grew up in an apartment that face the back of the building, and looked out at 87th street off of Columbus. back then, it was a rough street. the kind of street that you could expect to get chased on at my age. you could assume it actually. it was a street that quite often erupted into sudden violence. i remember being startled out of sleep very often from the loud pops of gunfire. and sometimes it was 6-8 rapid shots, you know, somebody unloading on somebody else. if you heard rapid shots like that, you could almost expect cops to show up at your door the next day asking if you heard something and when. it usually meant somebody had been murdered.

but i was lucky enough to only see it happen once, up on 137th street. it was twilight and i was with some friends walking to a spot to write graffiti in a very bad area. there was a guy just standing in a doorway, looked like a dealer or something. i didn't really pay any attention to him until another guy walked buy, and all of a sudden, turned to the first guy and raised his arm and popped him right in the face. it was insane to see. the guy with the gun just kept on walking away. it was dark so i never saw anything except his silhouette, but i could tell he was calm. the other guy just folded backwards like a lawn chair. we made like sheep and got the flock out of there.

as for me coming close to getting hit. well one time when i lived in the village and had a bedroom right on the sidewalk of 11th street and 4th street i was woken up one night to very loud gunshots right by my window. for a second i thought the gun, or fire crackers, as they sound like, were INSIDE my room. i rolled out of my bed quickly and hit the ground with a thud. there was a bunch of yelling and the sound of footsteps running by. I stayed under the bed until there were no more sounds besides the hum of the city.

the next morning i found out that there had been a full-on police shootout with armed robbers and the bullet holes were right above my window and several in the tree right in front of the window. the tree probably caught the bullets that were headed in my direction. there was some dried blood splattered on the sidewalk. that was also the very spot were a good friend of mine who was walking to his place down the block got held up at gun point. in full view of me watching tv inside.

then another time, i was at a loft party downtown, out on a fire escape with some friends. we were watching a very exciting fight that had broken out on the street in front of the building. there were guys kicking this one guy under a parked car and several other mini fights raging in various places from the sidewalk to the middle of the street. then all of a sudden one of these idiots decides he's been punched one too many times and whips out a gun. he does, what might have seemed like the smart thing, by shooting into the air to get people running. only we were right above this guy, so his gun was aimed right at us. i saw the sparks lick out of the barrel and there was the very audible TINK TINK of the bullets hitting the metal hatching of the fire escape right at our feet. we ran inside as our curiosity quickly changed to panic.

another close call was when i was writing graffitti one night with a friend, Spy-D. We were on 10th avenue and 57th street. a pretty large intersection and it was about 4 A.M. so it was basically a large empty corner except for two DT looking cars. we called any Caprice Classic that was unmarked a DT car, because it was usually driven by Detectives. well, as we were crossing the street in front of these two cars, out of nowhere four guys wearing dark blue windbreakers with D.E.A. printed on them jumped out of the car in back and started popping off shots at the front car in rapid succession. 3 guys jumped out of the front car and started firing back. it was straight out of a movie. Spy-D and i were stunned for a brief second as we figured out what was happening right next to us. we ended up runnning for our lives and diving behind a parked van. as soon as the gunshots became less constant we just high tailed it east on 57th and never looked back. i have no idea how close the bullets came, but i am sure it was TOO close. By the way, R.I.P. Spy-D.

and there are some other moments, like in Mexico city a few times i had to duck when a gunfight unexpectedly broke out or ran past me. of course, international incidents get filed under another header as they don't really affect the way i have chosen to live unarmed in America.

but back to NYC, once me and my friends got pulled over on the upper east side. i was sitting in the back passenger side seat munching on a slice of Ray's pizza. i didn't have anything illegal on me, which back then was actually quite rare. so i was relatively relaxed and was expecting maybe a ticket for the driver, Zar, at the worst. i hear a loud tap on the window right next to my ear and look to the right. I was looking down the barrel of a .38 special. literally i could see the light get darker in the shaft, and i could clearly see the heads of the bullets in the loaded magazine. i realized that if this spastic guy's finger twitched for any reason, i would die a very gory death right in the middle of the nicest neighborhood i knew at the timw. the cop told me to step out slowly with my hands up. i complied. he made me throw my pizza on the ground. i could tell i was facing a small (mentally), scared, and stupid person. the fact that the decision to end my life was in his hands was earth shattering to me.

the cops ended up realizing that we weren't the guys they were looking for and the just walked away without even apologizing.

So despite all of this proximity to these killing devices, these one button and lights out machines, these coward enablers, i have never for one second considering having one of my own. life is just too short for that stupid shit.
      Posted by Zen2 at 12:15 PM
      5 comments:
      Anonymous said...
      fag

May 2, 2009 6:39 AM
      Anonymous said...
      What an amazing story, I don't understand why people always resort to violence. When I was growing up in LA I would always be scared of bullets coming through the wall. Now that I have moved out to Arizona, its somewhat different. The point is still, guns are for cowards, they don't make you cooler. They make you a monster.

August 7, 2009 4:39 PM
      conwict said...
      I support gun rights. Yet I'm glad you don't have a gun, because you are exactly the type of macho jerk that gives gun owners a bad name when he decides to pick one up. Clearly, from your anecdotes, you have a need to engage in pissing contests with strangers for no reason. I, on the other hand, carry a gun in case someone like you decides to pick on me because - I guess this is the coward in me - I don't like the idea of my life being in the hands of someone with a short temper. The dubious luxury of fisticuffs seems anything but a luxury to me, and I gladly forego it for a real, effective means of self-defense (which is different from engaging in violence when you started it).

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if your post was sour grapes. People who pick fights usually have a criminal record, and felons aren't currently allowed to own guns.

PS, find the shift key. Using no caps doesn't make you look like an internet tough guy.

August 14, 2009 2:15 AM
      Anonymous said...
      I have know dozens and dozens of NRAers and they are all cowards who mask their fear with a firearm. Why are they so afraid? Sure, bad guys exist, but if it comes down to you thinking your protecting anyone, you're wrong. You have nothing to fear! Grow a pair, face life head on, become a part of the solution and stop hiding behind the second amendment. We will gladly welcome you to the ranks of the sane.

September 9, 2009 8:25 PM
      Derek said...
      Conwict- you're a pussy. Mano y mano- anything less is coward. Having said that- one does'nt need to be a bully and esculate it to a fight unless both parties agree. Throwing ones weight around is cowardly as well. I usually just give what I get. I'm certainly not going to bitchslap some nerd who is winning a verbal debate. Because real men know that talk is just talk. I can loose a verbal match bc I'm not a coward. Knowing how to let go is brave unless for a far more noble cause than ego. Ego itself has a bit of cowardice to it. Ego is developed out of fear. Yet ego can be a good thing when it truely protects you. And very much a bad thing when it destroys merely for the preservation of itself. Brave men feel fear and have egos but brave men have heart- meaning they care about themselves and others. And the very bravest of men are human and have their limits. We all fall short of ideal.
      The true answer is simply respect. Holding in high regards- onesself, others and life in general.

October 31, 2009 10:28 AM

ARX International is offline Platinum Member
      Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 175
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
      is ON TREN!

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

I think guns make my World safer.....Not only do I have a concealed weapons license,but I use it....I can honestly say if there were more citizens that carried concealed weapons there would be alot less robberies and car jackings!

IMO its uneducated people that have problems with guns....U dont see alot of concealed carry permit holders holdn up the local 7-11!!

If someone has never had the opportunity to fire a gun I suggest goin down to the local range and havn sum fun...
      Everything I say is Roll Play!

BLAST INC is offline Banned
      Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 140
      Overall activity: 2.0%
      Achievements:
      Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

you guys dont know wats up this is life and death i have a strap everywhere i go bitches its a fucking warzone out here my girlfriend is from 18ST IN SOUTH CENTRAL LOS ANGELES PICO AREA and all of our family are bangers man this shit is in the blood shoot first ask questions later

CRIP KILLER BLOOD KILLER SOUTHSIDE CONTROLA SUR x13
      187 DIABLOS GANG 187 ESCO BITCHES 187 WEAKSHITTERS

this thread should be only for people who have bucked on or bucked back I got my hat shot off my head last year and my truck got ran into by a van when they were trying to run me over bitches this is reall life or death beef . ive been stabbed , shot at, my lil homey was paralyzed last month hes 16 he got shot up but they were bashing enemigas with hammers right before so what do you expect you reap what you sew dog. dog i got people trying to rush my pad everyday and my girlfirend is pregnant you think that shit makes me comfortable

worst part is i have to sit in with these bitches in county becuase were all southsiders and thertes no gang shit up in there just color.

anon i bet you grew up in WEST HOLLWOOD you aint never seen a hood dog TWo years ago when spider got killed we were sleeping on the floor they not fuckin with you if you aint a banger my girl grew up in soouth central compton watts lived on grapstreet @ jordan downs projects with the crips in watts and rosecranz with the crenshaw mafia bloods Street VIllans 18st Florenica 13 Tortilla Flats 13 devner lane bloods rollin 60s crips mara salvatrucha etc etc etc .all this shit you hear on the news we lived it homey

Mureders? half of my homeys are in a different country on the run . NOW this will cripple a neighborhood

smile now cry later bang now die later that was the motto

look this is all history im not an active gang member anymore just relayin some facts to yall so you can see what that wicked ass San Diego street life is like
      Last edited by BLAST INC; 10-31-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Deepsouth is offline Banned
      Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 24
      Overall activity: 1.0%
      Achievements:
      Recommendation Second Class1000 Experience PointsVeteran
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

I have too many guns to count and I always carry in my vehicle concealed and I don't need a permit to do that in my state. I will have a concealed carry permit shortly to carry on my person. Those who oppose guns are very nieve in the world we live in today- I pray for you.

jcp is offline Honored Member
      Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 33
      Overall activity: 1.5%
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

The history channel brings all this to light for us. I can't remember the name of the shows but I watch them regularly. I couldn't imagine having to live the life of some of these guys.
      Roleplaying like a mf'er!!

jcp is offline Honored Member
      Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 33
      Overall activity: 1.5%
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

What do you guys think of Britain where guns are illegal. Less than 10 murders I think I read in all of last year which were gun related.

My personal opinion is that I don't have an opinion, just throwing that out there.
      Roleplaying like a mf'er!!

rocco-x is offline Honored Member
      Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 230
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Hungry

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Quote Originally Posted by BLAST INC View Post
      you guys dont know wats up this is life and death i have a strap everywhere i go bitches its a fucking warzone out here my girlfriend is from 18ST IN SOUTH CENTRAL LOS ANGELES PICO AREA and all of our family are bangers man this shit is in the blood shoot first ask questions later

CRIP KILLER BLOOD KILLER SOUTHSIDE CONTROLA SUR x13
      187 DIABLOS GANG 187 ESCO BITCHES 187 WEAKSHITTERS

this thread should be only for people who have bucked on or bucked back I got my hat shot off my head last year and my truck got ran into by a van when they were trying to run me over bitches this is reall life or death beef . ive been stabbed , shot at, my lil homey was paralyzed last month hes 16 he got shot up but they were bashing enemigas with hammers right before so what do you expect you reap what you sew dog. dog i got people trying to rush my pad everyday and my girlfirend is pregnant you think that shit makes me comfortable

worst part is i have to sit in with these bitches in county becuase were all southsiders and thertes no gang shit up in there just color.

anon i bet you grew up in WEST HOLLWOOD you aint never seen a hood dog TWo years ago when spider got killed we were sleeping on the floor they not fuckin with you if you aint a banger my girl grew up in soouth central compton watts lived on grapstreet @ jordan downs projects with the crips in watts and rosecranz with the crenshaw mafia bloods Street VIllans 18st Florenica 13 Tortilla Flats 13 devner lane bloods rollin 60s crips mara salvatrucha etc etc etc .all this shit you hear on the news we lived it homey

Mureders? half of my homeys are in a different country on the run . NOW this will cripple a neighborhood

smile now cry later bang now die later that was the motto

look this is all history im not an active gang member anymore just relayin some facts to yall so you can see what that wicked ass San Diego street life is like
      not to discredit your thugologist ideology but,in your best judgement,don't you think it's time to kinda move outta the ghetto?i grew up in the heart of newarks shittiest parts,for a white dude anyways,and got out.where i came from it was all black.ALL BLACK.and if you were white you better have some type of knuckle game and it better be pretty tight.either that or they gotta know you're just one crazy craker on a mission.got my ass wore out more times than i could count but i took a few bodypart trophies with me.some bros are still missin a tooth or part of an ear.point is we did it all knuckle to knuckle,bone to bone.yeah,now these little creeps carry a ratchet.makes them all tough guy killers.that's till they do the do the first time and can't do the time.t ome it's all stupid.i know guys makin crazy cake and still live in the projects just so they can say they still live in the hood.pretty insane...
      "Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are."

Lil Ed is offline Member
      Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 123
      Achievements:
      1000 Experience PointsVeteran
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

do what you got to do, carry a gun collect them do what you think is right. as for me I don't carry a gun, but my wife is always packing. LOL hope she doesn't shoot me!

jaydog25 is offline Banned
      Achievements:
      Veteran1000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

i love my guns.guns do make the world a safer place.guns dont kill people,people kill people.if a person is going to kill someone,he's gonna kill them.point blank.dont matter if he has a gun,baseball bat,knife,etc. he's already made up his mind to kill them with whatever he has to do it with

BLAST INC is offline Banned
      Overall activity: 2.0%
      Achievements:
      Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Quote Originally Posted by rocco-x View Post
      not to discredit your thugologist ideology but,in your best judgement,don't you think it's time to kinda move outta the ghetto?i grew up in the heart of newarks shittiest parts,for a white dude anyways,and got out.where i came from it was all black.ALL BLACK.and if you were white you better have some type of knuckle game and it better be pretty tight.either that or they gotta know you're just one crazy craker on a mission.got my ass wore out more times than i could count but i took a few bodypart trophies with me.some bros are still missin a tooth or part of an ear.point is we did it all knuckle to knuckle,bone to bone.yeah,now these little creeps carry a ratchet.makes them all tough guy killers.that's till they do the do the first time and can't do the time.t ome it's all stupid.i know guys makin crazy cake and still live in the projects just so they can say they still live in the hood.pretty insane...
      i have been to newark youre talkin to a real southside crab killer slob killer newark is ghetto too. NOTHIN LIKE THE WEST COAST THOUGH we started this shit. I dont really live in the hood anymore im on the outskirts more like but still in the city but my shit isnt on TURF or anything

Thread Information