It's A Man's World" is a column on anything and everything related to the modern man,by Ian Lang. If there are any topics you'd like to see addressed here, sendthem to us at editorial@askmen.com or let us know what youthink in the comments section.2012 will be all aboutthe believers vs. non-believers. According to the Mayans, it's the year the world willend. And TimTebow led the Denver Broncos into the playoffs (with Jesus playing fullback), and itseemed like no one stood a chance of stopping them (though the Patriots did). Noted Godhater Christopher Hitchens died (albeit in late '11), and the big news outlets devoted noless than eight minutes of coverage to the affair. The Republican primaries are in fullswing, and candidates are busy tiptoeing the line between pious heartlanders and young,edgy atheists with all the grace of a giraffe giving birth while drowning.Thisdichotomy is interesting, because whenever the issue arises, I like to sit back and watchGod-fearing believers and militant atheists hurl lame insults at each other like a bunchof sh*t-chucking apes. Faithfuls will post things on Facebook about why we call itCHRISTmas, and nonbelievers will tweet something (usually penned by Hitchens) that wouldhave been acerbic and funny in 2002. What neither camp realizes is that by engaging in thedebate, the onlything they manage to convince me of is that they’re both offensively stupid.The Argument For And Against Religion

Before I go too far, I should probably make clear that this is an endorsement of neitherreligious faith nor atheism. My complete spiritual leanings remain my own, and nothingshort of an exhausting tryst with a mob ofVictoria’s-Secret-models-turned-sexy-secret-agents trying to extract informationfrom me will change that. Instead, what I’m talking about is the pointlessness of anargument over whether or not a deity exists. Religion has the unique advantage of beingamong people’s most unflappable tenets, and as such it seems to be the thing thatsome people are willing to invest the most time and effort into challenging. I don’tsee why, but some people do. The respective positions of believers andnon-believers, while fine on their own, are infinitely shaky when presented to the otherside. Religious folks have 2,000+ years of theology and teaching on their side tellingthem that they are not only right to believe in God but will be rewarded for it in theafterlife. Atheism is just as easy. There is literally nothing easierthan not believing in something you have never once seen any sort of evidence of. Of theonly two options in the universe (believing or not believing), they chose the more logicalone. Even though many, many people are raised to believe, it’s not that hard tobecome jaded with faith as you mature. Humans aren’t great with the concept oflong-term rewards in our time here on earth, let alone one that happens after we’redead. If believing in the almighty is all upside, then not believing at worst has nodownside. Continue Reading

http://www.askmen.com/entertainment/austin_700/725_men-and-religion.html ]More...[/url]