The Watch Snob is in.Is A. Lange Doomed?

I was doing some historical research on several brands and found out that A. Lange & Söhne was bought out by Richemont in 2000. I couldn't find muchpublic information on any changes made to Lange since the buyout. So my question is, hasthere been any noticeable difference in Lange? Do they continue to be the same calibre asbefore? I can't see any good coming out of the takeoverfrom Richemont, seeing as they deal with "jewelry, watchmaking, writing instruments andclothing" and they appear to have a passion for financial growth and not for the pinnacle of timepiece perfection. The brand we knowtoday as A. Lange & Söhne was launched in 1994. So seeing as it’s beenlonger since Richemont bought Lange than the brand has existed, I’d say it's doingall right. Lange has yet to put a foot wrong in its 18 years in business, which is atestament to the remarkably restrained stance Richemont has taken, allowing the Germansto do their thing. Germans tend to be control freaks, and, for better or worse, this does make for a very good trait in a watchmaker. So their Swiss owners were best to leaveLange’s leash long. Now, if the Swatch Group owned Lange, I’d be worried,though even it has shown remarkable restraint with Lange’s neighbor, GlashütteOriginal. There must be some latent fear of pissing off Germans.If you want an example of where Richemont ownership has led a branddown the wrong path, look to IWC. Thebrand that once built innovative watches with purpose has quickly become the Omega ofRichemont, full of showmanship, celebrities and gimmicky designs. Ironically, it was IWC that helped Lange get back on its feet back in the early '90s. Maybe it’s time forLange to return the favor.Does A Monogram Undermine Watch Value?

I have my eyes set on a JLC Reverso and OmegaSpeedmaster for my two first real watches. If I acquire both, would my two-watchcollection be enough to be appropriate for any social/professional occasion and hold myown with other watch aficionados? Is the Reverso truly an heirloom watch? Would a date,initials or anything engraved on the Reverso lower or increase its value, assuming itwill never be sold and only handed down to a son or grandson?I can find no fault with your choices. Both watches have pedigree, classic looksand the mechanical underpinnings that hold up to even the most critical Watch Snob. Well,that’s me, and you have my blessing. Most watch aficionados who have even a modestcollection have a Speedmaster Professional, and the Reverso is one of those timeless classics that everyone should have. To your secondquestion, assuming you’re planning to hand down the Reverso, the value will only bein the eyes of your heir, so a tasteful engraving (a monogrammed Reverso is consideredtasteful) should not detract. Just make sure he is worthy of such an heirloom.Question from a Watch Knob

Can you please settle a dispute my wife and I are having? We travel to Europeregularly. She wants me to stop wearing my Rado (I got it for under $1,000) and wear myrosegold watch, a JLC Master Hometime. I have tried to explain to her many times thatpeople do not travel with these types of watches (particularly gold watches) since theyare prone to being stolen. She told me to ask the Watch Snob. Would you ever take a vacation wearing a fine watch? I love that woman. Shenot only has taste in watches but also the sense to send you to me to solve this maritaldispute. What is the point in having a watch that displays two time zones if you nevertake it traveling? Or did you misunderstand the “Hometime” name as a watchyou leave at home? I’m not sure where in Europe you’re traveling, but do you really need to ask whether I take vacations with a fine watch? My advice to you is to, asthose far cruder than I am are fond of saying, “grow a pair.” Your wife mightappreciate that as well. Continue Reading

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watches_700/749_jlc-reverso.html ]More...[/url]