I am a cycling runner, though not at the same time.

There is a lot of broscienceBS out there about how aerobic training is, like, bad and stuff. If you’ve readmuch of what I've written here at AskMen, you’ll know I think that’s all crap.Aerobic exercise is an effective tool to assist with fat loss. It can be fun, andit can help sculpt your physique into something awesome.

Unless you are acompetitive strongman, aerobic exercise, like running or cycling, isgood for you. You should look at a wide variety of physical endeavors as challenges to beaccepted and find your fitness Zen.

This article is a compare and contrast ofmy two favorite aerobicworkouts, running and cycling. As a fitness guy, I make time for both. But maybeyou’ve only got time for one or you’re trying to decide which to engage infirst as you dip your toe in the aerobic waters. Well, read on, and make an informeddecision about which is best for you.
Enjoyment

There are a lot of hardcore runners who just love making their body move with nothing butrunning shoes propelling them. Some even do barefoot,but I’m Canadian, so that ain’t happening.

Running can be veryenjoyable, but if you’re into speed and a bit of danger, cycling is where it’sat. I have a road bike that can reach pants-crapping speed when going down a steep hill,and it really lets you know you’re alive.

Winner: Cycling Time management

At the metabolic level, fast running beats fast cycling. There is also the fact that whenyou’re riding downhill, you’re essentially at rest because you’recoasting. Not so with running. Speaking strictly about aerobic results and caloric burn,you can do more in less time with running. You’re also getting more of a total bodyworkout with running than you get with cycling.

And if mountain biking is yourthing, you may need to factor in driving time. With running, it’s often possible tojust head out your front door.

Winner: Running
Commuting

Well, from a time management perspective, cycling kicks the ass of running. You will getwhere you are going way faster on a bike when reaching a specific destination is yourgoal. It’s also easier for carrying things like a change of clothes on a bike. Theone merit to running is not having to worry about your bike being stolen. Butstill…

Winner: Cycling
Cost

It’s possible to spend a crapload of money on both of these activities, especiallyif you’re traveling to runmarathons, like I’ve taken up doing. Every five months, it’s a new $150pair of shoes, plus a small fortune over the years for a variety of all-weather runningclothes.

You can cheap out on cycling and get some crappy Norco from thehardware store for $250. If that bike helps you feel the love, go big. I needed to dropsome cash. My road bike cost $3,000 with all the accessories, and I love that sucker.Clothes are extra here as well. Mountain biking can be just as expensive, if not more. Mybike alone is nine years' worth of running shoes, so …

Winner: Running
Difficulty of adoption

Just think about what it was like to be a kid with a new bike. You could ride that suckerfor hours. There’s no pounding on your joints, you can go far and fast, the windripping through your hair …

Now compare that to taking up running. Itried and failed the first few times I tried it. I sucked. And I hated it. And I sucked.The first several times I tried running, I was huffing and puffing like a mayor on a crackbender, wondering why the hell I was putting myself through such torture.

Ittakes tremendous perseverance for most people to become runners. In my experience, cyclingis just easier to get into.

Winner:Cycling Continue Reading

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding/cycling-vs-running.html ]More...[/url]