Achievements:
      Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Default in the NEWS: A-Rod admits using performance-enhancers

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum 1pm today.

NEW YORK – Alex Rodriguez admitted Monday that he used performance-enhancing drugs from 2001-03, saying he did so because of the pressures of being baseball's highest-paid player. "When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure. I felt like I had all the weight of the world on top of me and I needed to perform, and perform at a high level every day," the New York Yankees star said in an interview with ESPN that was broadcast Monday shortly after it was recorded.

His admission came two days after Sports Illustrated reported he tested positive for steroids in 2003, one of 104 players who tested positive during baseball's survey testing, which wasn't subject to discipline and was supposed to remain anonymous.

"And I did take a banned substance and, you know, for that I'm very sorry and deeply regretful. And although it was the culture back then and Major League Baseball overall was very — I just feel that — You know, I'm just sorry. I'm sorry for that time. I'm sorry to fans. I'm sorry for my fans in Texas. It wasn't until then that I ever thought about substance of any kind, and since then I've proved to myself and to everyone that I don't need any of that."

The 33-year-old All-Star third baseman was regarded by many in baseball as the most likely to break Bonds' record of 762. He's already 12th on the career list with 553 homers, 209 behind Bonds.

Rodriguez hit 52, 57 and 47 homers in his three seasons with the Rangers, winning the first of three AL MVP awards during his final season with Texas, where he received a $252 million, 10-year contract in December 2000.

"Back then it was a different culture. It was very loose. I was young. I was stupid," Rodriguez said. "I was naive, and I wanted to prove to everyone that, you know, I was worth, you know — and being one of the greatest players of all time."

He joined Jason Giambi and Andy Pettitte among All-Star players who have confessed to using performance-enhancing drugs. Many other players have denied any use.

Barry Bonds, a seven-time MVP, is to go on trial next month on charges he lied when he told a grand jury in 2003 that he never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs.

Roger Clemens, a seven-time AL Cy Young Award winner, is under investigation by a federal grand jury which is trying to determine whether he lied when he told a congressional committee last year that he never used steroids and human growth hormone.

In his 2008 book, "Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and The Battle to Save Baseball," Jose Canseco claimed he introduced Rodriguez to a steroids dealer. Canseco, who has admitted using steroids, subsequently said he had no knowledge of any drug use by Rodriguez.

"They are looking in the wrong places," Canseco said in a text message to The Associated Press. "This is a 25-year cover-up. The true criminals are Gene Orza, (union head) Donald Fehr and (commissioner) Bud (Selig). Investigate them, and you will have all the answers."

SI said that Orza, the union's chief operating officer, tipped off three players in September 2004 that they would be tested. Orza has repeatedly denied that he tipped off players, saying he merely reminded them late in the season that if they had not yet been tested, baseball's drug agreement required them to be tested by the end of the regular season.

Orza, who has been widely criticized by media since the SI report, said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that he doesn't care what the media says.

"I know the facts," Orza wrote.

Rodriguez said Orza told him in August or September 2004 about the list of names that had been seized by federal investigators.

"He said there's a government list. There's 104 players in it. You might or might not have tested positive," Rodriguez said.

SI.com reported Rodriguez tested positive for Primobolan and testosterone.

"It was such a loosey-goosey era. I'm guilty for a lot of things. I'm guilty for being negligent, naive, not asking all the right questions," Rodriguez said. "And to be quite honest, I don't know exactly what substance I was guilty of using."

Monday's ESPN interview directly contradicted a December 2007 interview with CBS's "60 Minutes," when Rodriguez said, "No" when asked whether he's ever used steroids, human growth hormone or any other performance-enhancing substance.

On Friday, Rodriguez is still expected to attend an event at the University of Miami, which is renaming its baseball field in his honor.

He gave $3.9 million to the school in 2003, the largest gift ever to the Hurricanes' baseball program and money that provided much of the resources needed for renovating the existing on-campus stadium. In return, the baseball complex will be called Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park.

Despite the scandal, the facility will continue to bear Rodriguez's name, a university official said Monday. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the matter's sensitive nature.

Miami baseball players and coaches were not available for comment, spokesman Mark Pray said.

___

Associated Press Sports Writer Tim Reynolds in Miami contributed to this report.

P4D2A0 is offline Platinum Member
      Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 177
      Overall activity: 1.0%
      Achievements:
      Veteran5000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

yeppp. i think they are playing the interview on ESPN tonight

6p6 Guest
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

just don't care about this argument anymore...so drawn out and over done...

Downtown is offline Platinum Member
      Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 92
      Overall activity: 1.0%
      Achievements:
      Veteran5000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

He said his cousin injected him with bollie or bollia.....whatever, I have never heard of this shit. Anyone know what it is?

JerkKILLER is offline Platinum Member
      Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 126
      Overall activity: 99.9%
      Achievements:
      Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

yeah, its something made up to cover his ass and make people (and the gov't) believe he had no idea what he was really taking since somebody else was giving it to him.

Hopefully the people of society dont believe this bullshit.

How many of you would actually let a friend or family member inject you with a mystery substance -that you know absolutely nothing about- just because they said it was good for you or would help you play sports better?

yeah right ! lol

nexus is offline Senior Member
      Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 133
      Overall activity: 1.5%
      Achievements:
      1000 Experience PointsVeteran
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

I was watching espn today and they said that this trainer that is a-rods trainer is also the trainer for the dominican national team and has helped alot of dominican players. Big name stars like Juan Gonzalez and david ortiz. They also stated that this guy has been banned from all major league baseball clubhouses becuase of his affilitation with steroids.

ESPN reported that this guy was traveling with A-rod all last season so basically the press conference that A-rod gave last week was nothing more than a half ass attempt to give the media what they want in hopes that they will leave him alone. he wanted to look like he came clean in order to abolve himself of all the crap the guys like clemens and bonds have gone through becuase of theier denials. he was hoping for a " Yeah I did it and Im sorry for it" excuse would work and then everybody would say how great he was and stand up he was for admitting it and then just drop it like they did with Jason Giambi.

Problem is a-rod went about it in the wrong way. he played th emedia for fools by offering them a small bone but basically lying to them and taking them for fools. Its going to come back to bite him in the ass. He isnt as smart as he thinks he is and people to be honest dont really care that he is alex rodriguez. To think most people are stupid and that they would just let this drop in naieve at best. he should have just said I took them and Im sorry and that was it.

Thread Information