TRUE SCAM ALERT!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRUE SCAM ALERT!
NOTE: This is NOT a re-post from another site/board. It is a real matter that occurred to me, TheChosen1, and I am currently still trying to rectify.

Tis the season to be jolly? Yeah right. It's apparent that while the holiday seasons (Thanksgiving/Christmas) are a time for giving, it's also a time for getting taken.

Last Tuesday, I had an early start to rush through my day. Usually I do laundry on Tuesdays since I'm off but I had to work last Tuesday and, after a late night spat with my on/off girlfriend that last to the morning, had to rush it through. The first thing that I did that morning was to gas up my SUV and withdraw a few bucks from my bank's drive up ATM so that I could be well prepared at work. Just as I'd gotten started on my laundry, my cellphone rang and I didn't recognize the number. Something told me to answer it so I did. It turned out to be my bank informing me of 3 possible fraudulent purchases made on my bank card only hours ago that day. I explained to the investigator of my 2 most current purchases with my card, the gas and withdrawal, but the ones that she'd mentioned were more than 20 miles from me and no where near my girlfriend's place (she lives in another city). One was a legit purchase but the other two, which were still pending, weren't. Luckily, she proceeded to alert the system of the fraud before it clears.

A couple of days later, my girl had realized that she'd forgotten her inhaler at my place when she was there and after finding it, I assured her that I would bring it to her just as soon as I get a little gas in the SUV again. So I checked my account online, assuming to have a few dollars left to hold me until payday. Instead, I was almost $150 overdraft. After studying the details, I noticed, yet, another purchase made on the same day of the other 2 fraudulent charges. All 3 purchases were no more than an hour apart and made at 3 different gas stations. All three were $75 each. It took me a while to finally notify the bank to inform them of the matter because I was constantly getting cut off by their freaking automated system. But once I got to work, I called them and got the shit straight. I was informed that all 3 illegal purchases and any/all overdraft charges would be debited back into my account in a matter of 3 business days. So, still and all, I'm broke until payday.

In light of a recent thread in regards to a scam alert that was later proven false by snopes.com, I thought that I should enlighten you all of true matters that have all occurred to me during holiday seasons:

1) From the months of November to January of the following year, ALWAYS pay close attention to your checking/saving/credit card accounts online. If you check your account at least once a day, you may want to consider 2 to 3 times a day during the holidays.

2) Never make online purchases from uncreditable websites and especially not any website that you're not very familiar with. Sure, you might save a few bucks now but it will cost you dearly if they empty your account to pay for their Christmas bonus.

3) Always pay vital attention to your cellphone calls during the holidays. During the Christmas season of 2003, Verizon tried to get me to pay for their Christmas bonus. That is, my $40/month bill climbed to $400. When I addressed the matter, it seemed that everything that I was supposed to have for free was instead, being charged. Free nights and weekends became charges during so-called peak hours.

HAVE A SAFE & HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON and always remember..........
DO IT TO THEM BEFORE YOU ALLOW THEM TO DO IT TO YOU.