• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf

Thread: Is Early Balding Linked to Prostate Cancer?

baby1 is offline Administrator
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran
      is the boss lady!!!

I am:
      Happy

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Default Is Early Balding Linked to Prostate Cancer?

Men who start to go bald by age 20 may have an increased risk for developing prostate cancer later in life, a study suggests.
      Prostate cancer patients in the study were twice as likely to report that they began to lose their hair by this age as men who did not have the disease.
      The findings appear to contradict research published last spring, which found early baldness to be protective against prostate cancer. But that study contradicted even earlier research suggesting just the opposite.
      Cancer experts tell WebMD that the evidence linking baldness to prostate cancer remains inconclusive.
      “This really just shows how much we don’t know,” American Cancer Society Director of Prostate and Colorectal Cancers Durado D. Brooks, MD, tells WebMD.
      “Even if this research is corroborated, the message is not clear,” he explains. “If you are a 20-year-old man and you are balding, the most that can be said based on this latest study is that you might develop prostate cancer in 40 years.”

Losing Hair Early in Life

In the new study, published Tuesday in the Annals of Oncology, researchers found no evidence that specific patterns of hair loss were more closely linked to prostate cancer than others. The study also failed to show an association between early hair loss and the diagnosis of prostate cancer earlier in life.
      The association between hair loss and prostate cancer was also not seen in men who reported that they began losing their hair at age 30 or 40.
      “All that we can really say from this research is that men who are balding at age 20 appear to have an increased risk for prostate cancer,” radiation oncologist and study researcher Michael Yassa, MD, tells WebMD. “These other associations may exist, but we were not able to show them.”
      About one in four men with male pattern baldness starts to lose his hair before age of 21 and two out of three will experience some hair thinning by age 35, according to the American Hair Loss Association.
      Known medically as androgenic alopecia, male pattern baldness is caused by both genetics and hormones, but the specific relationship between the two is not completely understood.
      It is believed that the androgen dihydrotesterone (DHT), which is a product of the male hormone testosterone, is produced in high amounts in genetically susceptible men. At these high levels DHT appears to cause the hair follicles to shrink over time, causing the hair to become weak and, eventually, stop growing.
      DHT has also been implicated in the development and growth of prostate cancer.
      The drug Propecia blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT. Several widely publicized studies also suggest that it may prevent prostate cancer in high-risk men.

In an effort to better understand the DHT connection, Yassa and colleagues from France’s European Georges Pompidou Hospital asked close to 400 prostate cancer patients and around 400 men without the disease about their balding history.
      A total of 37 participants with a history of prostate cancer and 14 participants without reported some degree of balding by the age of 20, including receding hairline and/or thinning of the hair on top of the head.
      Yassa says the research could help identify men who might benefit from prostate cancer screening.
      “There is a huge debate right now about who should be screened and whether screening is appropriate for the general population,” he says, adding that men with early balding may be good candidates for screening.
      But Brooks is not convinced.
      “There is really nothing here that should alter the recommendation of the American Cancer Society and other groups that men should learn all they can about the potential risks and benefits of prostate cancer screening and then make a decision about whether or not to be screened,” he says.
      American Cancer Society Chief Medical Officer Otis Brawley, MD, agrees.
      “We have not moved beyond speculation at this point,” he tells WebMD. “There is no reason for bald men to obsess about this.”

Drew83 is offline Platinum Member
      Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 139
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      1000 Experience PointsVeteran
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Default Re: Is Early Balding Linked to Prostate Cancer?

I was taught in nursing school that balding is due to high test levels and high test levels leads to prostate cancer. These increase your chances of developing prostate cancer later in life. Other risk factors include; old age (65 and older) risk increases each year, being obese, having a family history, and being an African American.

quoted this from an article i found on an online news site.

"What researchers found is that people who developed baldness early, in their 20s, were far more likely to suffer from prostate cancer later in life. The belief is that this is due to high testosterone levels in these people, as well as genetic traits that are linked between the two diseases. Overall, the risk of prostate cancer later in life for these men who developed premature baldness was said to be doubled. Prostate cancer is extremely common, and kill a quarter-million people each and every year." -News Desk

guns01 is offline Platinum Member
      Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 72
      Overall activity: 25.0%
      Achievements:
      Veteran1000 Experience PointsThree Friends10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
      Awards:
      Frequent Poster
      is hungry

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

damn good info. dying of prostate cancer is some scary shit

Fng is offline Honored Member
      Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 19
      Overall activity: 1.5%
      Achievements:
      1000 Experience PointsVeteran
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

if this where true I would be dead since I started losing my hair before I graduated hs and I was natty too.

Thread Information