Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Poorly

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Default alchohol and Test

Alcohol and Testosterone
      Does alcohol help or hurt your testosterone? That's a question every guy should ask himself. Alcohol is currently a much-loved chemical in the health media and blogging worlds. After all, it is manly, helps with heart disease and is often ground zero of our social universe.

However, for those of us who want to optimize our hormonal and testosterone levels, alcohol, or ethanol as it is known scientifically, is certainly no friend. Animal studies, for example, found that alcohol lowered testosterone levels in rats by about 40%. [1] We also know that heavy drinkers (without liver disease) have significantly lowered sperm counts, sperm motility and free testosterone. [2] By the way, alcohol does not just affect testosterone but growth hormone levels as well. [3]

The short term reason for this is that acetylaldehyde, the primary breakdown product of ethanol (alcohol), acts on the Leydig Cells directly to reduce testosterone production. Even small dosage levels affect testosterone production in isolated rat Leydig cells, a very bad sign indeed. [4] The drop in testosterone can even be more severe in those with depleted Vitamin E levels. Researchers found drops in testosterone of 50% in one study! [5] And consider this: rats fed a 5% ethanol diet lose 50% of the weight of their testicles. [6] Ouch!

Do you know the foods and drinks that increase erection-boosting Nitric Oxide? Check out the Peak Erectile Strength Diet where I show you how to dramatically and naturally improve your erectile strength.

NOTE: Researchers at the National Institute of Health believe that alcohol lowers testosterone through four key mechanisms: 1) an increase in the opiod beta-endorphin, 2) a reduction in testicular nitric oxide, 3) oxidative damage, 4) cell damage (from increased oxidation). [10] All of these pathways will lower testosterone and explain why alcohol is such a potent testosterone lowerer, especially in those who drink more than moderately.

Okay, so alcohol is hard on rats and dogs - so what about humans? Sorry, but alcohol has been found to be just as tough on human testosterone. One study found that (a heavy dose) of alcohol on 8 adult males lowered testosterone (and raised cortisol) for 24 hours afterward! [7] A more recent study, almost twenty five years later, verified that drinkers in the armed forces had lower free and total testosterone (and higher estrogen levels). [8]

What if you don't overdrink? The results are a little less noxious according to one study out of the Netherlands. These researchers found that moderate drinking lowered testosterone by 7% (but did raise HDL by 12%). [9]

Alcohol is also a notorious estrogen-increaser. It does this by affecting the liver's P450 enzyme subsystem in a negative way. Basically, it slows down your body's ability to process estrogen, allowing it to build up in your blood stream. That means, as good Peak Testosterone readers know, that testosterone will be reduced because estrogen is a testosterone lowerer.

If you think about it, alcohol fights your testosterone in almost every negative way possible: its breakdown products directly lowers Leydig cell production and it increases cortisol and estrogen, both of which are known testosterone blockers! And, as I have covered in another link on the Pros and Cons of Alcohol, drinking raises the risk for all GI cancers as well.

The research: multi-supplement cocktails can turbocharge erectile strength.

Many guys drink for social reasons and the heart benefits, but I just cannot see the advantage considering the fact that it can affect testosterone, estrogen and cortisol levels in such a negative way. This is especially important for use middle aged and beyond guys who are already struggling with these three hormones just from the aging process! If you are exercising with a Low Fat Diet, for example, your heart will be strongly protected anyway. In other words, you don't need alcohol.

And that's my summary really: you don't really need alcohol, so why bother? An occasional social drink is no big deal, but otherwise I'd stick to good, clean livin' and optimizing your testosterone. You need every last drop you can get!

My 5 Top Erectile Supplements w/ solid research.

REFERENCES:

1) Biology of Reproduction, Jan 1 1990, 42(1):55-62, "Effects of chronic ethanol diet on pituitary-testicular function of the rat"

2) Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Res, 1997, 21(1):128-133, "Testicular function in asymptomatic chronic alcoholics : Relation to ethanol intake"

3) J of Endocrinology, 1997, 152:477-487, "Ethanol, growth hormone and testosterone in peripubertal rats"

4) Oxford Journals Medicine Alcohol and Alcoholism, 1987, 22:17-22, "ETHANOL-INDUCED INHIBITION OF TESTOSTERONE BIOSYNTHESIS IN VITRO: LACK OF ACETALDEHYDE EFFECT"

5) Int J Vitam Nutr Res, 1987, 57(3): 267-71, "Plasma testosterone in rats exposed to ethanol during vitamin E deficiency"

6) Endocrinology Vol, 1979, 105(4):888-895, "Alcohol-Induced Testicular Atrophy in the Adult Male Rat"

7) Alcohol, Jan-Feb 1984, 1(1):89-93, "Sex hormones and adrenocortical steroids in men acutely intoxicated with ethanol"

8) Bone, 2009 Sep, 45(3):449-54, Epub 2009 May 18, "Effect of alcohol consumption on bone mineral density and hormonal parameters in physically active male soldiers"

9) Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, Published Online 13 Apr 2006, 28(5):780-785

10) Mary Ann Emanuele, M.D., and Nicholas Emanuele, M.D., "Alcohol and the Male Reproductive System", http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...-4/282-287.htm

apollo is offline Banned
      Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 143
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Amused

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Default Re: alchohol and Test

Quote Originally Posted by ketsugo View Post
      Alcohol and Testosterone
      Does alcohol help or hurt your testosterone? That's a question every guy should ask himself. Alcohol is currently a much-loved chemical in the health media and blogging worlds. After all, it is manly, helps with heart disease and is often ground zero of our social universe.

However, for those of us who want to optimize our hormonal and testosterone levels, alcohol, or ethanol as it is known scientifically, is certainly no friend. Animal studies, for example, found that alcohol lowered testosterone levels in rats by about 40%. [1] We also know that heavy drinkers (without liver disease) have significantly lowered sperm counts, sperm motility and free testosterone. [2] By the way, alcohol does not just affect testosterone but growth hormone levels as well. [3]

The short term reason for this is that acetylaldehyde, the primary breakdown product of ethanol (alcohol), acts on the Leydig Cells directly to reduce testosterone production. Even small dosage levels affect testosterone production in isolated rat Leydig cells, a very bad sign indeed. [4] The drop in testosterone can even be more severe in those with depleted Vitamin E levels. Researchers found drops in testosterone of 50% in one study! [5] And consider this: rats fed a 5% ethanol diet lose 50% of the weight of their testicles. [6] Ouch!

Do you know the foods and drinks that increase erection-boosting Nitric Oxide? Check out the Peak Erectile Strength Diet where I show you how to dramatically and naturally improve your erectile strength.

NOTE: Researchers at the National Institute of Health believe that alcohol lowers testosterone through four key mechanisms: 1) an increase in the opiod beta-endorphin, 2) a reduction in testicular nitric oxide, 3) oxidative damage, 4) cell damage (from increased oxidation). [10] All of these pathways will lower testosterone and explain why alcohol is such a potent testosterone lowerer, especially in those who drink more than moderately.

Okay, so alcohol is hard on rats and dogs - so what about humans? Sorry, but alcohol has been found to be just as tough on human testosterone. One study found that (a heavy dose) of alcohol on 8 adult males lowered testosterone (and raised cortisol) for 24 hours afterward! [7] A more recent study, almost twenty five years later, verified that drinkers in the armed forces had lower free and total testosterone (and higher estrogen levels). [8]

What if you don't overdrink? The results are a little less noxious according to one study out of the Netherlands. These researchers found that moderate drinking lowered testosterone by 7% (but did raise HDL by 12%). [9]

Alcohol is also a notorious estrogen-increaser. It does this by affecting the liver's P450 enzyme subsystem in a negative way. Basically, it slows down your body's ability to process estrogen, allowing it to build up in your blood stream. That means, as good Peak Testosterone readers know, that testosterone will be reduced because estrogen is a testosterone lowerer.

If you think about it, alcohol fights your testosterone in almost every negative way possible: its breakdown products directly lowers Leydig cell production and it increases cortisol and estrogen, both of which are known testosterone blockers! And, as I have covered in another link on the Pros and Cons of Alcohol, drinking raises the risk for all GI cancers as well.

The research: multi-supplement cocktails can turbocharge erectile strength.

Many guys drink for social reasons and the heart benefits, but I just cannot see the advantage considering the fact that it can affect testosterone, estrogen and cortisol levels in such a negative way. This is especially important for use middle aged and beyond guys who are already struggling with these three hormones just from the aging process! If you are exercising with a Low Fat Diet, for example, your heart will be strongly protected anyway. In other words, you don't need alcohol.

And that's my summary really: you don't really need alcohol, so why bother? An occasional social drink is no big deal, but otherwise I'd stick to good, clean livin' and optimizing your testosterone. You need every last drop you can get!

My 5 Top Erectile Supplements w/ solid research.

REFERENCES:

1) Biology of Reproduction, Jan 1 1990, 42(1):55-62, "Effects of chronic ethanol diet on pituitary-testicular function of the rat"

2) Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Res, 1997, 21(1):128-133, "Testicular function in asymptomatic chronic alcoholics : Relation to ethanol intake"

3) J of Endocrinology, 1997, 152:477-487, "Ethanol, growth hormone and testosterone in peripubertal rats"

4) Oxford Journals Medicine Alcohol and Alcoholism, 1987, 22:17-22, "ETHANOL-INDUCED INHIBITION OF TESTOSTERONE BIOSYNTHESIS IN VITRO: LACK OF ACETALDEHYDE EFFECT"

5) Int J Vitam Nutr Res, 1987, 57(3): 267-71, "Plasma testosterone in rats exposed to ethanol during vitamin E deficiency"

6) Endocrinology Vol, 1979, 105(4):888-895, "Alcohol-Induced Testicular Atrophy in the Adult Male Rat"

7) Alcohol, Jan-Feb 1984, 1(1):89-93, "Sex hormones and adrenocortical steroids in men acutely intoxicated with ethanol"

8) Bone, 2009 Sep, 45(3):449-54, Epub 2009 May 18, "Effect of alcohol consumption on bone mineral density and hormonal parameters in physically active male soldiers"

9) Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, Published Online 13 Apr 2006, 28(5):780-785

10) Mary Ann Emanuele, M.D., and Nicholas Emanuele, M.D., "Alcohol and the Male Reproductive System", http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...-4/282-287.htm
      Is this the cause of whiskey dick? LOL! Good Post though!
      Last edited by apollo; 03-22-2011 at 01:34 PM.

ketsugo is offline Banned
      Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 176
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Poorly

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Ha ha Apollo- Arent you the whiskey Mod here ? LMAO

apollo is offline Banned
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Amused

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Quote Originally Posted by ketsugo View Post
      Ha ha Apollo- Arent you the whiskey Mod here ? LMAO
      LOL! No but I am THE MOD of my dick LOL!
      I have noticed an increase in really good scientific posts on this board though. One of the ladies keeps posting some good ones- along with this one. You should post what these fucking pills do to people. I know methadone lowers Test bc my younger friend who goes there had the test levels of a young girl after about 1 year on it. He got fat- sad he's very intelligent and charismatic- funny as hell but those damn perks got his ass- he was pretty jacked too. Now- fat and lives at home with his mama at 30. I hate seein him that way but hell my woman is like my mom and I live with her and I'm over 40! LOL!

Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Poorly

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

lol thats sad about your friend- I see that shit daily at my real job

Moxie is offline Platinum Member
      Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 62
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      1 year registered1000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

I've never been much of a drinker. To me, there's nothing worse than being stuck in bed, sick as a dog, when you're supposed to be training legs

guns01 is offline Platinum Member
      Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 72
      Overall activity: 25.0%
      Achievements:
      Veteran1000 Experience PointsThree Friends10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
      Awards:
      Frequent Poster
      is hungry

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

to get on the pill note. the sad thing is that our bros and sis in the military are getting hurt overseas and they are pumping these guys full of all kinds of meds. now i have some good friends who have serious problems and are getting kicked out for a problem that they created not the wounded warrior. it goes the same way with the other guys who cant handle what they have done and seen. more meds, lets keep em like zombies and not have to worry about them

apollo is offline Banned
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Amused

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Quote Originally Posted by guns01 View Post
      to get on the pill note. the sad thing is that our bros and sis in the military are getting hurt overseas and they are pumping these guys full of all kinds of meds. now i have some good friends who have serious problems and are getting kicked out for a problem that they created not the wounded warrior. it goes the same way with the other guys who cant handle what they have done and seen. more meds, lets keep em like zombies and not have to worry about them
      Yeah that's bullshit.

theclap is offline Member
      Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 114
      Overall activity: 1.0%
      Achievements:
      1000 Experience PointsVeteran
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Good post Kets. Alcoholism can also lead to gyno due to the decreased ability of the body to metabolize estrogen. Anyone who wants to google "Alcohol gynecomastia" can find plenty of info on it.

Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Poorly

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Quote Originally Posted by theclap View Post
      Good post Kets. Alcoholism can also lead to gyno due to the decreased ability of the body to metabolize estrogen. Anyone who wants to google "Alcohol gynecomastia" can find plenty of info on it.
      there ya go - another point to ponder.............Carry on

Thread Information