1 year registered1000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Default Re: 150 lb. dumbell "curl"

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
      Partials reps only strengthen the muscles at that specific joint angle. AKA if you do curls only extending your elbow 25%, you will only gain strength in that upper 25% of your range of motion, you WILL NOT get stronger at the rep ranges below (the bottom 75% in this case). So, if you have trouble locking out your bench....do partials in the top 25% of your range. If you have trouble coming out of the hole on your deadlifts, train partials at the bottom 25% of the range.

When it comes to size, there really isn't a place for partials in my opinion, full range=full stimulation throughout the muscle=complete breakdown of actin, myosin, titin, the sarcolemma, etc. leading to greater hypertrophy adaptations.

Also, if you look at the amount of torque applied to the elbow joint during this guy's preacher curls, there is barely any. Muscles cannot sense force, ONLY TORQUE (rotational force) which is force "opening" the elbow during a curl, pulling it into extension. If you look at that dumbell when this guy is doing curls, and think about the biomechanics, most ALL of the force from that 150lb. dumbell is being transferred downwards pushing his elbow down into the preacher pad, only a small percentage of that force is being transferred into TORQUE which is what pulls the elbow into extension and makes the biceps and brachialis contract to slow the extension/flex the elbow back up. This is why when the guy dropped the dumbell down to about 90* he couldn't stop it from falling to the ground (most of the force from the DB was then transferred into "opening" the elbow into extension, and he couldn't handle it).
      Good post, and your 100% correct, i also agree with K-sugo. There is a place for them, i personally dont do them though. In time i think he will hurt himself, which would suck, and he would get no "money" after that.

p-l

ketsugo is offline Banned
      Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 176
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      Achievements:
      Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Poorly

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
      Partials reps only strengthen the muscles at that specific joint angle. AKA if you do curls only extending your elbow 25%, you will only gain strength in that upper 25% of your range of motion, you WILL NOT get stronger at the rep ranges below (the bottom 75% in this case). So, if you have trouble locking out your bench....do partials in the top 25% of your range. If you have trouble coming out of the hole on your deadlifts, train partials at the bottom 25% of the range.

When it comes to size, there really isn't a place for partials in my opinion, full range=full stimulation throughout the muscle=complete breakdown of actin, myosin, titin, the sarcolemma, etc. leading to greater hypertrophy adaptations.

Also, if you look at the amount of torque applied to the elbow joint during this guy's preacher curls, there is barely any. Muscles cannot sense force, ONLY TORQUE (rotational force) which is force "opening" the elbow during a curl, pulling it into extension. If you look at that dumbell when this guy is doing curls, and think about the biomechanics, most ALL of the force from that 150lb. dumbell is being transferred downwards pushing his elbow down into the preacher pad, only a small percentage of that force is being transferred into TORQUE which is what pulls the elbow into extension and makes the biceps and brachialis contract to slow the extension/flex the elbow back up. This is why when the guy dropped the dumbell down to about 90* he couldn't stop it from falling to the ground (most of the force from the DB was then transferred into "opening" the elbow into extension, and he couldn't handle it).
      IM NOT ADVOCATING THIS GUY IN THE VIDEO- BUT YOU ARE BRAINWASHED HAVE YOUR MIND IN A BOX - IF YOU BELIEVE THIS- ALL THE PROS ARNOLD , HANEY,YATES- ALL PRACTICED PARTIALS. THEY DO HAVE A PLACE IN TRAINING. THERE IS NO ONE WAY TO TRAIN. I FEEL SORRY FOR PEOPLE WHO THINK IN SUCH CONCRETE TERMS- TO TRAIN JUST SLOW AND FULL LEGHTN IS BUILDING A BODY THAT ONLY FUNCTIONS IN THE GYM. FUNCTIONAL MUSCLE UTILIZES ALL TYPES OF PRINCIPLES- WE CAN LEARN ALOT FROM POWERLIFTERS AND THE OLD SCHOOL GUYS- SO WHAT IF HE COULDNT STOP THE DUMBELL I MEAN REALLY - WHO CARES? YOURE BODY SHOULD BE ABLE TO ADJUST TO ANYTHING- TRAINING DIFFERENT PLANES AND ANGLES IS AN INDIVIDUAL THING. YOU GO AHEAD WITH YOUR ROBOT TRAINING METHODS - I RESPECTFULLY WISH YOU THE BEST. ME? IM GOING TO TRY ALL TYPES OF TRAINING AND NEW THINGS- IM NOT JUST A BODYBUILDER, IM AN ATHLETE AND MY SLOW TWICH, FAST TWICTH AND ALL MY SMALLER MUSCLES WILL BE HIT BECAUSE I REFUSE TO ACCEPT ONLY A LIMITED WAY OF TRAINING. I HAVE DONE THIS SINCE 1977- THROUGH EXPERIENCE. I GOT MY CSCS CERTIFICATE YEARS LATER ONLY BECAUSE I DONT AGREE WITH ALL THE BULLSHIT THEY TEACH EVERYONE- SO I GOT MY BA AND THAT CERTIFICATE ONLY SO I COULD SPIT IN EVERYONES FACE THAT TRIES TO SHOW ME THEIR WORTHLESS PIECE OF PAPER THAT MEANS NOTHING. NOW IM NOT SAYING THAT ABOUT YOU - IM JUST MAKING A POINT- THERE IS WAY WAY MORE TO TRAINING. PARTIALS HAVE THEIR PLACE IN YOUR ROUTINE. IF THEY DONT - YOU WILL NEVER REACH YOUR POTENTIAL BOTTOM LINE.

Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Poorly

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Quote Originally Posted by ketsugo View Post
      IM NOT ADVOCATING THIS GUY IN THE VIDEO- BUT YOU ARE BRAINWASHED HAVE YOUR MIND IN A BOX - IF YOU BELIEVE THIS- ALL THE PROS ARNOLD , HANEY,YATES- ALL PRACTICED PARTIALS. THEY DO HAVE A PLACE IN TRAINING. THERE IS NO ONE WAY TO TRAIN. I FEEL SORRY FOR PEOPLE WHO THINK IN SUCH CONCRETE TERMS- TO TRAIN JUST SLOW AND FULL LEGHTN IS BUILDING A BODY THAT ONLY FUNCTIONS IN THE GYM. FUNCTIONAL MUSCLE UTILIZES ALL TYPES OF PRINCIPLES- WE CAN LEARN ALOT FROM POWERLIFTERS AND THE OLD SCHOOL GUYS- SO WHAT IF HE COULDNT STOP THE DUMBELL I MEAN REALLY - WHO CARES? YOURE BODY SHOULD BE ABLE TO ADJUST TO ANYTHING- TRAINING DIFFERENT PLANES AND ANGLES IS AN INDIVIDUAL THING. YOU GO AHEAD WITH YOUR ROBOT TRAINING METHODS - I RESPECTFULLY WISH YOU THE BEST. ME? IM GOING TO TRY ALL TYPES OF TRAINING AND NEW THINGS- IM NOT JUST A BODYBUILDER, IM AN ATHLETE AND MY SLOW TWICH, FAST TWICTH AND ALL MY SMALLER MUSCLES WILL BE HIT BECAUSE I REFUSE TO ACCEPT ONLY A LIMITED WAY OF TRAINING. I HAVE DONE THIS SINCE 1977- THROUGH EXPERIENCE. I GOT MY CSCS CERTIFICATE YEARS LATER ONLY BECAUSE I DONT AGREE WITH ALL THE BULLSHIT THEY TEACH EVERYONE- SO I GOT MY BA AND THAT CERTIFICATE ONLY SO I COULD SPIT IN EVERYONES FACE THAT TRIES TO SHOW ME THEIR WORTHLESS PIECE OF PAPER THAT MEANS NOTHING. NOW IM NOT SAYING THAT ABOUT YOU - IM JUST MAKING A POINT- THERE IS WAY WAY MORE TO TRAINING. PARTIALS HAVE THEIR PLACE IN YOUR ROUTINE. IF THEY DONT - YOU WILL NEVER REACH YOUR POTENTIAL BOTTOM LINE.

sheesh I am such a jerk- MOxie accept this as an apology- You obviously have much knowledge in anatomy and physiology, However just consider my one case example here- 20 year old college athlete unable to perform one chin up after years of training. I schooled him with forced negatives and partial reps over a three month period and now chins are part of his routine. His lats have taken on a whole new look hes clean yet being accused of using gear. All because I incorporated partials into his routine. I been at this a long long time. I go by my own experience. No need for articles or manuals I could write my own. again Im so sorry about my demeanor previously- I get where you are coming from and you do make sense- However get me- THERE IS NO ONE WAY TO TRAIN.
      YOU JUST DONT MAKE A PRACTICE OF DOING THEM OFTEN= SORT OF LIKE GOING MAX WEIGHT.

GOING ALL THEY WAY UP AND DOWN CAN ALSO SET YOU UP FOR INJURY- I GUESS WHEN YOU HAVE TRAINED PROFESIONALLY FOR 20-30 YEARS YOU WILL SEE ENOUGH OF THIS TO EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT IM SAYING
      Last edited by ketsugo; 04-15-2011 at 03:34 PM.

Moxie is offline Platinum Member
      Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 62
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Kets, not sure if you are with me or not in my explanation, your two posts are polar opposites. I agree with what you are saying; variety is key to maximizing potential, no doubt there. I am saying that I see MANY guys in the gym training partial ranges ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, I am just providing the science behind partials, when they are beneficial and when they are not. I'll tell you, 95% of the time, they are NOT being utilized correctly.

And when I say full-range, I do not mean to the point of hyperextending the elbow, I simply mean bringing each and every muscle through the largest and safest possible range of motion. This will yield the greatest adaptations in muscular hypertrophy.

Here's the key: If you DO train your full range of motion, and then decide methodically that you want to add some partials into your routine, I think that's OK.

I am NOT saying that there is only one way to train, however I am saying partials are not the best strategy for hypertrophy training, but there's nothing wrong with throwing them into an already sound training program.

Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Poorly

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Moxie let me again apologize - I had a hair across my butt today so it was me. YOu are correct on all points - every single point is true, partials are not the best way. However they are a proven and legitimate method for some to make gains. Used by most pros for decades - to train around injury, to break sticking points and for the case example I shared. They are very useful for a purpose. However not the best or the only way. I use them all the time for at least when I perform press behind the neck= to more isolate delts and keep minimal trap use, plus its considered a dangerous exercise when use in its full range. Of course using weigths that are way too heavy is out of the question, but using partials in an intelligent manner . I do agree with you and some of the others that some look foolish. However even consider the constant tension principle which is used specifucally and also actually a variation of partial reps. Partials are very popular with professionals and serious individuals. However it was infair and I was a jerk to imply that you are anything but a very intelligent and knowledgable bodybuilder- the facts you spewed off here are awesome which is why I couldnt delete the post too much great info. Instead ill just again say SORRY I was an arse so everyone can see that I can be big enough to admit when Im a jerk.

Moxie is offline Platinum Member
      Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 62
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      Level

Quote Originally Posted by ketsugo View Post
      Moxie let me again apologize - I had a hair across my butt today so it was me. YOu are correct on all points - every single point is true, partials are not the best way. However they are a proven and legitimate method for some to make gains. Used by most pros for decades - to train around injury, to break sticking points and for the case example I shared. They are very useful for a purpose. However not the best or the only way. I use them all the time for at least when I perform press behind the neck= to more isolate delts and keep minimal trap use, plus its considered a dangerous exercise when use in its full range. Of course using weigths that are way too heavy is out of the question, but using partials in an intelligent manner . I do agree with you and some of the others that some look foolish. However even consider the constant tension principle which is used specifucally and also actually a variation of partial reps. Partials are very popular with professionals and serious individuals. However it was infair and I was a jerk to imply that you are anything but a very intelligent and knowledgable bodybuilder- the facts you spewed off here are awesome which is why I couldnt delete the post too much great info. Instead ill just again say SORRY I was an arse so everyone can see that I can be big enough to admit when Im a jerk.
      Kets, it's all good bro. I like a good argument about exercise physiology every once in a while, it makes me think real hard You actually brought up some good points that I haven't considered before.

Thread Information