I always say waste not want not so why the heck have I been throwing away the seeds inside all my winter squash? I mean you pay for that pumpkin by the pound, right? That’s just one reason not to toss the “guts” when you carve it. An even better one: Pumpkin seeds contain 5 grams of protein and fiber per 1-ounce serving and are a good source of zinc and magnesium. I’ve done a little experimenting and butternut squash, acorn squash, kabocha squash, basically any squash seeds are just as good!
Rosa Mexicano culinary director David Suarez suggests spritzing them with cooking spray and sprinkling with 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1∕2 teaspoon each of cinnamon and salt, and a pinch of chili powder. Roast on a baking sheet at 325°F for 10 minutes and—voilà!—you’ve just transformed a seasonal decoration into a healthy snack.

I’ve been test-driving different flavor combos and also love roasted pumpkin seeds with:
• Garlic powder and cumin
• Adobo
• Parmesan cheese
• Cayenne and garlic powder

I’ve been snacking on these seeds all week and have been adding them to salads, and yogurt. They are also great for sprinkling on top of your squash once it is roasted. The possibilities are endless! What are your favorite ways to enjoy roasted pumpkin seeds? I can’t wait to try out some new flavor combos!
By Karen Borsari