I am truly amazed at how much my budget has changed going from a damn cheap apartment to our home. In the past i bought a new cell phone every year, bought whatever gear and some gh here and there. I own a few GASP items and the wife and I had a few very fun new years eves down at some nyc night clubs. One year we spent around 1k to get a vip table for 8 people(of which we only ended up with 6 so we ate the rest of the cost of the table), no one brought money to tip so the $225 gratuity for the moet and the grey goose was on us as well. We always did whatever pleased us. Now with the house and our $1755 per month mortage and taxes, the recent renovations to get the house livableand the on going improvements here and there, it really hit home how much we spoiled ourselves before. I had wanted to get an iphone because my blackberry is 2 years old but when i look at my paycheck every 2 weeks I can't imagine spending that money. Whenever I get a newsletter for sales on GASP stuff I realize those days are gone. Don't get me wrong I love a house and it's what you work towards during your younger adult years but it has really been a life changer.
I guess it's kinda like when you get married, part of you is sad for the single part of your life being permanently gone but the other is excited that you found that person and have moved into the next phase of life. Or when you go from just being a married couple to a family. At first the adjustment is tough and you miss some of the old way of life but nothing compares to interacting with your child. I miss being able to treat myself and my family to whatever we want but ilove that we have our home.